Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Skype Icon Missing (Windows Default Icon Instead)

Finally got my hands on this annoying problem with the Skype's icon. Instead of Skype logo icon I had an ugly default Windows icon in the taskbar (I have Skype pinned to the taskbar). When I unpinned Skype, the icon came back but no for a long time. Default Windows icon appeared after the next right click on the taskbar icon.

It happened to be not a Skype's problem but a problem with Windows icon cache. I rebuilt it, restarted the computer and the problem was solved. So, that's what you need to do to rebuild the icon cache:
  1. Open Command Prompt (how? ehhh, type cmd in the search box in start menu).
  2. Type this commands (the last one will reboot the machine)
    taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
    cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    del IconCache.db /a
    shutdown /r /f /t 00
After that your machine will reboot and the issue should be fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment